Font Size

Filing a Protest

  1. If you have not had an informal meeting with the County Appraiser on the valuation of your property for the current tax year, you can file a protest.  Protest forms (PDF) may be printed here or are available from the County Treasurer.
  2. Contact your County Treasurer's office to request the protest forms after November 1st.  A payment of taxes must be made in order to file a protest.  Please read and follow the instructions carefully for a successful appeal. NOTE:  If the protest form is received in the Treasurer's office unsigned, the protest will be considered invalid and will be returned to you. The delay may jeopardize your chances for a hearing.
  3. Tax protest forms must be completed before sending to the Treasurer's office on or before December 20th. If taxes are paid by an escrow agent, you have until January 31st of the following year to file your protest.
  4. You must keep a copy of the  protest form. You will need to use this form to file the protest with the Board of Tax Appeals if you are not satisfied with the County's decision.
  5. The County Appraiser will contact you to schedule an informal meeting after the County Treasurer forwards your protest form to the Appraiser. If you are filing a protest on the basis of an illegal tax levy, an additional form (PDF) must be completed and attached to the protest form. Illegal levy protests will by mailed by the Treasurer to the Board of Tax Appeals.  No informal hearing will be held with the Appraiser in the case of  illegal tax levy protests.
  6. If you have paid your taxes in full and are successful in your appeal and your value is reduced, which entitles you to a refund, payment will be issued upon the Treasurer receiving a correction from the County Appraiser's office.  If you paid 1st half taxes only when filing the protest and should your value be reduced, your 2nd half taxes will be reduced based on the new valuation.